Twitchin Kitten - conversation community
How does your garden grow? - Printable Version

+- Twitchin Kitten - conversation community (https://twitchinkitten.com)
+-- Forum: Twitchy's Garage (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-24.html)
+--- Forum: Home Decor & Outdoors (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-44.html)
+--- Thread: How does your garden grow? (/thread-3632.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

How does your garden grow? - Twitchin Kitten - 05-07-2013

Anyone planting a garden this year? I'm right in the middle of it now and found I have room for more! So I ordered broccoli, asparagus, cucumbers and cantaloupe which will go where marked.

Strawberries along the north side.
Tomatoes along the east side - 3 big plants plus one cherry
White eggplant along the north side but a couple feet in from the strawberries - 3 plants
Zucchini on the west side - 6 plants
peas and string beans in front of the zucchini so they climb on the fence
cantaloupe north-west center - 2 plants
broccoli north-west center - 2 plants
English cukes - 2 plants
Asparagus by the herbs - 20 spears / plants (they grow close and tight)

If anyone has a better planting suggestion please suggest away.
I'm waiting on the cukes, asparagus, cantaloupe and broccoli plants to come in.

The planter has 3 giant strawberry plants that will be transplanted to the garden proper as well. I decided to dedicate that whole north side strip to them.

Dont' tell me the lawn needs tending. I know this already Tongue

[attachment=2500]

RE: How does your garden grow? - Twitchin Kitten - 05-07-2013

Hmm might have to rethink that asparagus. I found this online for first planting: http://bonnieplants.com/products/vegetables/asparagus/asparagus

I had asparagus awhile back but it was already there and established when I bought the house.
Looks like these will go along the fence where the tomatoes are. I'm not sure now! Gah

RE: How does your garden grow? - randomium - 05-07-2013

I love some fresh, home grown veggies! Tomatoes especially...always better than the stuff in the stores.

RE: How does your garden grow? - twisteroo - 05-07-2013

I just got the rototiller out for the first time today. I'm still a couple of weeks away from actually putting anything in the ground.

Yeah, yeah, but what about my layout and the asparagus dilemma?

I never saw them make bushes like they say in that second posts link either. All I ever saw were the shoots popping out of the ground.

RE: How does your garden grow? - ralgith - 05-07-2013

(05-07-2013, 11:01 AM)randomium Wrote: I love some fresh, home grown veggies! Tomatoes especially...always better than the stuff in the stores.

*cough* Tomatoes are a fruit, not a vegetable. *cough*

Twitch got screwed on them a bit last year, but the best sandwich tomato ever is the "Park's Whopper". Huge tomatoes like Beefteaks and Beefmasters, but with a more solid firm flesh like a Roma and a delicious sweet flavor. Yum. You can buy plants or seeds (from the link above for the plant, and just search their seed section for seeds) on their website, or you can buy plants at Lowes stores and some other places. I've been growing them every year now since 2006 and I love them. 5xPark's Whoppers, 5xRomas, and 3 Hanging Baskets of 3 plants each Sweet 100 Cherries. Yes, I have a huge garden. 25'x25' for 625 sqft. I also grow a bunch of peppers (mult-colored bells, jalapenos, habaneros, red chillie, and cayenne), several types of squash, broccoli, corn (new this year), lettuce, bush pickles (yes I actually make homemade dill pickles), cukes, bush green beans, canteloupe, and red, early green, and late green cabbage (for my gf, I hate the stuff - though IIRC we're dropping the red this year) in my garden. I'm dropping watermelon this year for the corn.

(05-07-2013, 01:48 PM)Twitchin Kitten Wrote: Yeah, yeah, but what about my layout and the asparagus dilemma?

I never saw them make bushes like they say in that second posts link either. All I ever saw were the shoots popping out of the ground.

I don't see where it says they make bushes. It just says they can grow to 5' high. No one lets them get that big because you want to harvest them young and tender. Yes I think you should swap with the tomatoes for location because they are a perennial and you want them "out of the way" to grow for a couple years. Strawberries are also non-harvest the first year. They will probably grow fruit, but you shouldn't pick them during year 1.

RE: How does your garden grow? - randomium - 05-07-2013

Quote:*cough* Tomatoes are a fruit, not a vegetable. *cough*

Okay, okay...I concede they're a "fruit". (picky, picky!)

The "beef" related naming conventions of some of the tomatoes puzzles me...a fruit that masquerades as a vegetable and calls itself a meat? Talk about an identity crisis!

RE: How does your garden grow? - twisteroo - 05-07-2013

Yeah, then what the hell is and eggplant?? Whoa.Wacko

Home Depot sells the Park's Whopper. I got myself three of them.

OK Dylan, I think I need to keep the asparagus plan and risk how thick they grow into ferns as the link says. In the article it says they "don't like competitors" and along that back fence is Nick's shit weed lot and there is a ton of Virginia Creeper roots there. The row I want them a bit in from the end is clean.