Twitchin Kitten - conversation community
How does my garden grow? - Printable Version

+- Twitchin Kitten - conversation community (https://twitchinkitten.com)
+-- Forum: Twitchy's Garage (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-24.html)
+--- Forum: Home Decor & Outdoors (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-44.html)
+--- Thread: How does my garden grow? (/thread-2961.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

How does my garden grow? - Twitchin Kitten - 04-22-2012

Painfully! That's how.

Yesterday was add soil to the garden day. We need to bring the grade up about 6 inches. So, I send Matt to the dump to get a truck load of soil while I prepare the house for things to come.

I lifted the strawberries and set them aside. Prepped the berry row for new plants and transplanting the blackberry bush.

Picked weeds out of the lawn o' rocks and cleaned up the lilly beds around the yard. Loosened soil in the post around the pergola and flowers and fed them.

Everything went smoothly. Poor Matt shoveled dirt onto the truck until his arms burned and turned to jelly. Then he had to do it again when he got home. Sadly, we can't get the truck into the yard and just dump it out like we were able to on my farm.

So we get the whole thing done and we're short about 4 wheelbarrow's full. Banghead I can't spread what's there and "make it work" because it's really very low below grade and it will take too much away from the finished areas.

We headed to Home Depot for the plastic to put over it and some other things, paint swatches and what not. I figured that we'll just pick up a couple bales of top soil there instead of making him go to the dump for more. They don't sell big bales of soil, only peat moss which I don't need. Gah

Poor Matt has to hit the dump again.

Today is paint day for the nuclear room! Yahoo Well, finish priming it day. Still can't decide on a color scheme. Every time I bring home a bunch of swatches and look at it in the light of the room they look "off". I want some kind of very light gray that will look good with the blue molding coming from the hallway and living room, but they all turn pinkish, greenish or bluish once home in natural light. Why do they always show paint swatches in florescent light in the store? Idiots.
I'm at the point where I am thinking of doing the ceiling in a dark gray and leaving the walls white/off white. I dont' want dark walls in that tiny room.

I am freakin' exhausted, in pain and [insert whining of all sorts here]. Matt's out on a side job and I must forge ahead! I want that room done. I'm thinking of tearing out a wall and making my bedroom bigger now. Biggrin Matt cringes at the thought.

It's cold and rainy here. Twist is getting a blizzard. I had to bring plants that are not in the ground yet into the house because of the weather.

Cats can smell catnip before you put it on a shelf! Now plants are safe in the basement.

Look how little we need! Gah

[attachment=1967]

and this is the berry bushes next to it. Strawberries are in the left corner of the garden you can't see in the pic above.

[attachment=1968]

RE: How does my garden grow? - Rhubarb - 04-22-2012

I've been gardening today.
Just covered the potato plants, weeded the onions and put the beetroot out. Then it chucked it down with rain, so rushed over to my parents where my guinea pigs were cutting the grass.

Bought a Clematis at the market this morning and potted it in a chimney pot by the shed.
The President, gives big blue flowers (I hope) and planted in memory of my Barclay who died in my arms on friday evening. He thought he was king of the garden, so it seemed the right plant for him.

I'm so glad I was with him when he went, 6 years old and....
never to be snake food. Finger

RE: How does my garden grow? - Twitchin Kitten - 04-22-2012

Aww, RIP lil Barclay.

I'm done with some painting. Matt's on his way home early Banghead - more bullshit on the job.

I'm kind of glad, I forgot to have him leave his 4' ladder so I can cut in the corners up top on the walls! Now I can finish priming and maybe we'll go pick out some paint later.

RE: How does my garden grow? - twisteroo - 04-22-2012

So sorry to hear about Barclay Rhubarb.Hug

It is not a blizzard here yet, but holy crap, LOOK!!

RE: How does my garden grow? - Biker Dude - 04-22-2012

Wow. This weekend was like 80 here too!

RE: How does my garden grow? - twisteroo - 04-25-2012

This is my garden at the moment, the snow melted off of most everything today.
I still have to burn all the brush from the fall and winter but the Nazis from the NY DEC say I can burn shit in my fucking yard till May 15th. Fuckers.

[Image: sany7511.jpg]

RE: How does my garden grow? - Twitchin Kitten - 04-25-2012

I just transplanted some violets from the back to the front where I planted that baby hedgerow of Rose of Sharon's to hole the ground while the bushes grow.

I planted some gerbera in the yard by the rose bush too. Did the disease spray for the grapes and I still have to go get paint. I procrastinated.

RE: How does my garden grow? - Rhubarb - 04-26-2012

Too wet here to do anything, but at least the garden is blooming because of it! Biggrin

RE: How does my garden grow? - twisteroo - 04-26-2012

Meh, if you can't eat it I don't worry about growing much of it.

RE: How does my garden grow? - John L - 04-27-2012

Do you have to keep adding to the garden each year?